UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

Since it has been quite a long time since we have been active, we are going to be Under Construction for a while - trying new fonts, designs, and updating our sidebar stuff. Hopefully we will get it how we like it soon so it won't change too much!

Also - Can someone tell me how to get rid of the giant gap below this notice - I cannot figure out how to do it - thanks!!




Thursday, September 10, 2009

I feel the need to add this...

I have seen thatsome of you have suggested that the cat pee issue could be an infection orother illness. We actually have considered that, and though it is possible, we don't think that is the case. See, we have one spite peer (Lola), one cat with overactive hormones who could be spraying (Barney) and one who has spent his whole life peeing in inappropriate places (Floyd). Floyd would pee under the stairs when we had the carpet, and at our apartment there were a few places he would just always use instead of the box (it started one day when I accidently closed a door and he couldn't get to the box.) None them sre showing signs of problems like straining, crying, etc. And there is nothing odd about the pee (I grew up with 2 cats with a lot of bladder issues so I have always been on the lookout for signs of problems - if any meow a lot in a different room I always go check, and it is always simething else (Flotd meows a lot when sucking his sweater, things like that.) I really think that it is just Floyd looking for a new pee spot to replace under the stairs. But we are keeping an eye out for signs. Kirzon is going to the vet on Saturday so we will ask about it then. I wanted to be sure everyone knew that we are keepin an eye out, but it really doesnt seem like illness at this point (knock on wood) because other than the inappropriate location there is nothing unusual. But we will keep you posted if any other signs come up.

oh, and sorry for any typos - when I saw the comments it was thru email on the phone, which I am using to post this also.

9 comments:

dArtagnan Rumblepurr/Diego Hamlet Moonfur said...

You're such a good cat-mummy :)

SeaThreePeeO said...

We hope the peeing problems are a thing of the past soon.

Forever Foster said...

Since Suey's illness, she hasn't been squatting properly in the box- which means it shoots over the side. I was in tears cleaning it last night, so I certainly understand your frustration!

I am obsessed with Vicky Halls, a cat behaviourist, and she has two tips for homes where there is inappropiate peeing going on. One is to check whether the box location is near a window. If the resident kitty has seen another cat through the window, it can be enough to make them think the box is no longer a secure spot.

The other is to look at the box locations, and see if it is possible for one cat to be controlling access. In those situations, a cat can inappropriately pee because they are busting, but can't get to the box.If your boxes are together, it might be worth putting one in a second location.

Good luck. Cat pee can really shake my grip on sanity!

Milo and Alfie said...

I hope you can resolve the problem for the kitties ~ 'cos we love them all.

The Creek Cats said...

We sure hope this peeing issue resolves quickly. Our mom knows all about it. Maggie May pees on Dixie's bed for no reason at all and she is not having urinary issues. The only way she could get her to quit was to keep the dog bed outside with Dixie until she came in at night.

My Mind's Eye said...

Amy,
Oh my I'm so sorry you are playing the guess who peed and why game. NO FUN. If someone could figure out the mind of a cat they'd be wealthy.I hope that your floor has a good coat of polyurthene (spelling) on it.I expect it is coming from a combination of all that you mentioned. The thing I've noticed about healthy cats who pee or poop indiscriminately is something has changed in their world...you have 4 cats right? so that is 4 worlds you have to figure out. I wish you lots of luck and a ton of patients.
Madi and Mom

Anonymous said...

We are purraying you find out who's doing it and why. Hopefully it's just a spiteful thing, like Lola!

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

You know your cats best.

Lisa Kolosey said...

We have 8 male cats and 1 girl. Two of the boys pee outside the box. Moseley has a lot of other issues too so he has his own room with vinyl foors. Nick pees only in two specific places and only when another cat is outside. We flood the house with Feliway, which is a stress reducing fermone found in most pet stores. Google it. It improved our issues about 80%. We've been through it all with peeing!!! These guys are lucky to have you. Good luck!
~Lisa Co9T